Old Photo AlhóndigaBilbao

 

In 1905, the very young architect Ricardo Bastida was given the task of building a new corn exchange on the outskirts of the city. He created a big industrial, functional and innovative building which was used as a warehouse for wines, liquors and other spirits. Designed in a modernist style, it was built with reinforced concrete and brick and finished in 1909. From the 70’s onwards its business was moved to a new store located on Recalde Street and the building remained empty, awaiting another use.

See Ricardo Bastida's biography